Thursday, June 6, 2013

Beef, Zucchini and Tomato Gratin




This is inspired by a recipe I found on the Internet while searching for ideas for gluten-free meals (doctor’s orders). I hate to admit that I feel better because it has turned my world upside down. I made this last week and we all enjoyed it, so I thought I would pass it on.
Ingredients
3 zucchini, thinly sliced
sea salt
pepper mill
2tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 lbs. lean ground beef
1 cup basmati rice (cooked)
1 can diced tomatoes
3 beef tomatoes, skins removed and sliced
½ cup ricotta cheese
½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions
Preheat oven to 350F.
Toss zucchini with 1 teaspoon sea salt and let stand 20 minutes; drain, rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Evenly spread half of the zucchini over the bottom of a buttered 2-quart casserole. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onions and garlic and sauté until tender. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain off excess fat; add pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste. Stir in the cooked rice and chopped tomatoes. Spoon the beef mixture into the casserole, then top with the sliced tomatoes and the remaining sliced zucchini. Combine the ricotta cheese with the cheddar cheese and sprinkle over. Bake in preheated for 30 to 40 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment